Skip to content Skip to footer

How I started

Discussions Forums Upwork for Nigerians How I started

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      User AvatarPeter Ogundairo

I had my first big breakthrough as a content writer four years ago in 2021. It was through Upwork and I remember the chilling feeling of landing my first client who paid me around $850 to work on her new business website. I overkilled the job (of course 🤣) and it was surreal when the pay hit my bank account. I first paid my guy who loaned me some money to kick off my Upwork journey, and I’ve not looked back since then. Random but I think I bought so much suya that people around me definitely knew something was up.

A lot has changed since 2021, but freelance sites like Upwork, Fiverr, etc are still some of the best ways for you to get started as a content writer. I know a lot has changed as well since the launch of ChatGPT and other tools but everyone in the game knows there’s always going to be a place for content writers. I personally think we just have to evolve with the game.

I’m creating this forum to answer as many questions as I can around starting Upwork from Nigeria as a content writer. I hope it evolves into a space where we all lend each other a helping hand to do more in our space. Feel free to ask your questions and even freer to answer questions from others. See you on the winning side!

©Peter Ogundairo (Abioye)

Co-founder, TechWriteable

Anonymous

Link to image: https://ibb.co/9hdzdbD

This link is a screenshot of an interesting convo and I thought to share it. I didn’t join Upwork for the first time in 2021. I’ve tried to join much earlier and this is as far back as 2017/2018. My experience was unsuccessful. One thing I did different in 2021 was enrolling in a mentorship where I got to learn how the system works. I learned how to create a profile that stands out, craft nice proposals, who to apply to when looking for jobs and those contributed to my success on there. I might have figured it out on my own eventually but that would have taken a lot of time. Thankful that I took the bet.

Hello Peter
      Im new to content writing and previously, I have heard stuff like Upwork is dead, fiverr is dead, and not a good place to make money.

What do you think?

And how do you think I could start my journey as a finance content writer. I’m here for the bag. Spa is real and popsy’s money is not enough.

Anonymous

Hi JQ,

I can totally relate with you, and truly spa is real 😂

First off, Upwork, Fiver and many of these sites are not dead. Even as a company, we recently picked up projects from there worth $$$.

But I’ll be honest with you, they require more work than before.

Have you written any stuff on finance before?

How do I start my writing Journey here, I want to smatch this system with my writing skills

Anonymous

Let’s start with your areas of interest.

Do you have any industry you like?

Examples are finance, crypto, software, etc.

It’s usually better when it’s something you have a background in or love.

Hi Peter. I just read your story. Please I’m new into content writing. How do I get started here?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Password
Confirm Password