Skip to content Skip to footer

Day 2 – Tip 2: Understand the basics πŸͺœ

Activity Forums Tips and hacks 30 tips in 30 days for tech writers Day 2 – Tip 2: Understand the basics πŸͺœ

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Peter Ogundairo
      Keymaster

Like any other profession, tech writing has some basics you need to grasp fully to set you on a path to success. Off the top of my head, I’ll list the top 5 as; research, grammar, punctuation, storytelling and SEO. Let’s talk a bit about them;

1. Research: This refers to you ability to discover relevant information, sort it out and distill it into meaningful chunks that your readers will understand. It is a very key skill you will need as it forms the foundation of your ability to create relevant and accurate content.
      2. Grammar: It is important that you learn to pay attention to grammar skills to ensure that your writing is clear and error-free. Proper grammar improves the readability of your content and also conveys you as a professional.
      3. Punctuation: Good punctuation is another ‘writing basics’ that adds to the readability of your content. As a tech writing professional, you are expected to possess an advanced ability to communicate complex ideas in simple formats.
      4. Storytelling: Earlier, I mentioned that you are meant to be able to communicate complex ideas in simple formats as a tech writer. It doesn’t stop there, as you’re also expected to keep your readers interested while at it.
      5. SEO: SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, and it involves writing in formats that make your content self-discoverable on the ‘vast, vast’ internet. It is very important in tech writing, and you should start looking into it, even as a newbie.

This forum is titled “30 tips in 30 days for tech writers”. It will be structured into 10 tips for newbies, experienced, and expert-level writers successively. Don’t forget to subscribe, share, and leave comments. Until next time 🀞🏽.

Awesome

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.